Mexican Auto Insurance
You must have Mexican auto insurance if you plan to drive in Mexico because U.S. car insurance policies don’t provide coverage to satisfy Mexican federal liability laws. Fortunately, our agency provides access to the coverage you need to drive over the border and throughout Mexico.
Contact us today to learn more about your options and get a personalized quote.
What Coverage Does Mexican Car Insurance Provide?
Mexican law requires all drivers in the country to have liability insurance coverage. If you are responsible for a car accident, this policy may help provide coverage for third-party bodily injuries and property damage. Mexico federal liability law also requires the responsible party’s insurance to pay a settlement if an accident results in the death of a third party.
Your agent may also recommend that you add the following coverages to your Mexican car insurance coverage:
- Physical damage coverage may help cover accident or incident-related damage to your vehicle. It may help pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it is stolen or vandalized.
- Medical payments coverage may help pay accident-related medical expenses for you and your passengers.
- Roadside assistance may help pay for services if your car breaks down in Mexico.
- Medical evacuation may help pay for emergency transportation to a hospital if you are hurt in an accident.
How to Buy Mexican Car Insurance
Mexican car insurance is separate from your U.S. policy. You must pay a separate premium, and the policy has specific start and end dates. If you drive when your Mexican auto insurance policy is invalid, you will not have coverage if you are in an accident. You may also be required to pay penalties and fines as Mexican law requires.
To get a Mexican auto insurance policy, you may be required to provide the following information:
- Year, make and model of the car you will drive
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- License plate number
- Your valid driver’s license
- Your U.S. car insurance policy number
- The dates you will be driving in Mexico
- The areas inside Mexico where you plan to drive
Get the Mexican Car Insurance You Need Today
While you may be able to add a limited Mexico coverage endorsement to your existing auto insurance policy, not every insurer provides this option. You may need to purchase a standalone policy to satisfy Mexico’s federal liability laws.
We can help you get a Mexican auto insurance policy with tailored coverage to meet your needs. Contact us today to get a quote.